Thursday, June 14, 2007

Of Ducks and Deer

So...we have ducks in our yard, I am sure, all you faithful readers already know this though. I don't mind them so much. They are friendly, they show up in the evenings and they do not eat my garden.

We also have about 100lbs of feed corn. Which Duane originally bought to lure deer to his tree stand out back last fall...but which these ducks (and the crows and the squirrels and the chipmunks) are totally enjoying. They see us come out of the house, and watch as we head to the shed. The ducks are coming a little bit closer every time we throw corn out too them. I am really looking forward to seeing the babies that I am pretty sure we should be seeing soon...

So, in light of my well-behaved "we-promise-not-to-eat-your-flowers" ducks here are a couple of shots...










In other news...my plan B to keep the G.D.M.F'in deer outta my garden has been hatched. I read somewhere...(who knows where, maybe I dreamed it) that one way to keep deer out of your garden, besides the Oh.So.Effective Coyote Pee, is to surround your garden with fishing line.

See, the deer can't see it, and when they head in for some fresh and tasty treats, they bonk into the line, confused they back away...and leave. Uh huh. Right...but, we did it anyway. So, now we have 8 posts, with fishing line strung at 3 different levels between them.

And JUST for good measure, I then tied strips of fabric softener to the line. I told Duane I did that because deer don't like the smell (read that somewhere too) but, in reality...I can't see that fishing line either...bonk.

0 comments: