Monday, August 13, 2007

Garden Fatigue and signs of fall...

It seems, that in mid-august I get a little bit of what I call garden fatigue.

In march, I have all I can do to not go out and shovel the snow off my gardens in the hopes that spring is coming...

In April I go out and monitor my crocus shoots every hour or so until it gets dark...or 12 inches of snow falls...



In may, I tend to plant things to early, and have to replant them.

In June, I get so excited everytime something new blooms.

In July, everything seems to come together and my purchasing new plants both annuals and perennials becomes an obsession...

But it seems like in the last couple of weeks...my attention has waned. Maybe it is the heat...which to tell you the truth, has not been all that bad...or maybe it is the fact that my tomatoes have not really ripened on the vine yet but I seem to have lost my vigor. My excitement has taken a vacation. Sure, the stargazers have bloomed and they are beautiful and smell good. Yes, my echinacea are tall and blooming but I have started to give up on the weeds just a bit. My lettuce has gone to flower...and I don't really care. My gourds and squash are taking over my yard...and I don't really care. My pepper plants are refusing to flower...and no flowers means no peppers...the okra are only 8 inches tall...apparently they just are not too keen on New England summers...

But I know in the next few weeks, and months I can look forward too mums and planting bulbs and apple cider and apple picking and pumpkin soup. Drying gourds and figuring out what to DO with all the tomatoes...Oh, I make killer pumpkin soup...curried pumpkin soup. If I can find the recipe I will post it...

Seems that when we go on our walks there are more and more leaves looking like they want to turn...some of the older and unhealthy trees have already turned...that is a sure sign of seasons changing around here...

I have already started to think of things I want to plant next year and what I don't want to plant so much of...I would like next year to plant some red potatoes, garlic, asparagus, onions...less squash...more basil...

1 comments:

BetteJo said...

I've seen several posts in the last couple days about people looking forward to Fall already.
Think it's just been too hot this year.