Monday, March 17, 2008

Sanibel Stuff

We had a great trip to Sanibel, albeit a pretty cold (relatively cold for all you New Englanders) and windy trip for the most part. Not 85 and sunny...that is for sure. But the storm that blew into Florida the day we showed up made for some great shelling at some of the best shelling beaches in the world. I could stand at the big shell pile and hunt for the best shells all day long.

Anyways, here are some of my favorite images from the trip:

This is what they call "The Sanibel Stoop" red tourists all hunched over searching for shells...



Can you blame them???







This heron stood and posed for at least the 2 hours we were at this beach. I think the island of Sanibel pays him.



A brown pelican, these guys look like 767's when they fly. I can't believe they can even get airborne!!!



This little guy just hanging out on a post. Again, paid to stand for the paparazzi...



SPEAKING of paparazzi...can I just say two words??? LENS ENVY!!!!!!! Yeah, the photographer had to take photographs of the photographers...



Speaking of lenses, I used my new fisheye lens to take this picture of the Collier House Inn on Useppa Island. Not bad for a cheapo lens!



And finally...by popular demand (Hello Anonymous):

Lunch!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shots, but my favorite is the egret w/ the snake in it's mouth...set it as wallpaper!

Jessica said...

Well, yeah, I like that one too but it is not exactly in focus...which bugs me...

Drew said...

You took the egret picture? That's crazy good luck. Amazing.

I used to go to Sanibel when I was a little kid. I remember dressing in a really bad coral colored shirt and white pants, trying to be all island and Florida like. God I was a queer little kid. The shelling though is top notch!

BetteJo said...

Went to Sanibel a couple years ago with my BF. Went to Mazzaluna - the crab bisque was awesome!

I brought home shells - but not like you were seeing!

Christine said...

Great shots, Jess....love the ones with the shells and the sky and love the egret with the snake...unbelieveable luck....AND see, aren't you glad I told you to take a picture of all the people with the big lenses??! You thought I was crazy telling you to get out of the car and take the picture! : )