Sunday, December 2, 2007

'tis the season

Tis not the season to garden in these parts...

But it IS the season for knitting! Last year, I took a knitting class at my local yarn shop here in NH. I did this mainly because I did not want to spend yet another winter spitting and swearing at my needles and knotted up yarn. It just was not fun. I had always been under the impression that knitting would be impossible for me to figure out because I am left handed. This is also the reason I have never taken up guitar, well, that and I cannot hold a tune...

So, back to the knitting. I took this class, and after I was straightened out, and a couple of very bad habits were broken, I became a knitter. An actual knitter. And, lo and behold, I am a RIGHT handed knitter. So, the first thing I knit was a hat, then I made a teeny baby sweater for my friends baby. One sleeve shorter than the other, but it got finished...and I made a few more hats, a couple of pairs of mittens and one very weird looking scarf...

Today, I just want to show you what I have accomplished. I made a sock. Just one. and I am so PROUD of this one sock that I am wearing it right now....and why do I only have one sock? Well....I did not buy enough yarn :( So, sometime this week, I will have to hunt down another skein of yarn, just like this one so I can finish.

I am thinking, that maybe I can/should start a new theme once or twice a week, or month or maybe just whenever I feel like it about my latest knitting/knitted project. That might give me something to write about...

But, anyways, here is the sock:




I got this pattern from the book One Skein Wonders and it is called the "Cozy House Socks". I used Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends (Don't let that fool you, it is 70% acrylic) Tundra. The yarn was ok, although I had some issues with it knotting up and it also SHEDS like mad. Almost like I owned a long haired cat or something...but, it is soft and warm and easy to knit up. You wil need more than one skein to knit 2 socks.

At least one foot is warm :)

1 comments:

BetteJo said...

Now that's a great sock!! :) I tried my hand at knitting, but I never tried a pattern (hence did not get very far) because I cannot count. I mean, I can count, but if I have to REMEMBER what I count, I simply can't keep track. So instead of enduring the frustration I moved on to quilting!
You really have become a knitter if you can follow a pattern and make something absolutely recognizable!