Sunday, June 17, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday!



Join Green Thumb Sunday
Join


Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

My theme for this week:



I am not too sure what is going on in my main vegetable garden....I planted and replanted Kentucky Pole beans. Nothing came up. I have planted and replanted gourds, the second time I soaked the seeds overnight AND nicked the hard outer shells. I have planted carrots, twice. ONE, count them ONE okra plant came up out of about 30 seeds, one, maaaaaybe 2 red onions came up. NONE of the white ones came up. The scallions never really showed, oh there are a few...but they are sad, so sad...so, needless to say, I am a little frustrated. The growing season here is pretty short. Plus, I can't find ky pole bean seeds anywhere now since the christmas stuff is practically already out...THAT is fodder for another post...(note to self, start Christmas Decorations are up already post)...drives me crazy when I hear christmas music in august...

But, in other good news...I was pleasantly surprised to see these sweet pink flowers on my Mosquito Plant:



This is a pretty cool geranium hybrid, not only does it have these really pretty pink flowers (which I had no idea were about to bloom) but it smells like citronella and keeps the mosquitoes away. Which is key in this area of the world, those mosquitoes are like little attack airplanes....

Hopefully next week I will have some flowering vegetable plants to rant and rave about!

9 comments:

Mark said...

Hope the sign works, there is no reason why it shouldn't....Lol


Cheers Mark

Anonymous said...

I love the plaque and your photographs are lovely.
Sara from farmingfriends

Jean said...

Welcome to Green Thumb Sunday! It's great if thet mosquito plant works!

ACey said...

ha ha - wonderful sign. Hope you enjoy GTS

Lynn said...

I love the sign.
I have that problem with Clematis.

That pink is amazing! Very vibrant.

mine is upp

Gardenmomma Chris said...

Ain't that sign the truth?? I love the mosquito plant. I've not heard of it. I need to check it out.

Anonymous said...

That sign is hysterical and that may be the very very first geranium that I've seen that I don't hate.

(This is saying a LOT).

Laurie and Chris said...

That sign cracks me up! We will have to look for one of those Mosquito plants.

CG said...

Love that geranium and I hope the sign does the trick!!